Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Reflection


I’ve started to take a step back and look at the culture of my area from an outsider’s stance a while ago when I first started CGS. The subjects in my classes got me thinking of what an outsider would think of us. From doing this project I picked up on mostly negative things our area values. Starting with what was prominent in most of my posts, which were the stereotypes; this is a value of not only Fairfield County, but our nation. We are starting stereotypes at a young age by having them in our children’s TV shows. Teaching them of un-acceptance and out casting from the very beginning. This then progresses to be our source of entertainment as we get older. Making jokes of all the most recognized stereotypes out there, like in The Big Bang Theory they have the most common group of stereotypes: dumb blonde, Indian, Jew, and Nerd.
            In Fairfield County specifically, we have the issue of valuing social class and wealth. Being one of the wealthiest counties in our country, we are known for being the most stuck up, back stabbing, and uncaring. Although I’ve grown up in a town and school that isn’t as famous for being stuck up, I know many friends that go to schools such as Darien High School where social class means the world to them. Where you stand in that school is determined by not just what you wear but whom you wear, then there are also the certain standards for behavior—doing anything outside the norm will get you shunned. This is where my McDonald’s observation comes in yes they all may eat there, but they choose to hide it by strictly using the drive through.
            What I find to be undervalued in Fairfield County is acceptance it is rare around here. What ever happened to accepting people for who they are? I don’t like the use of stereotypes, if you are a male and ask me to make you a sandwich I will most likely not make you a sandwich. The last thing I ever want to hear which for some reason I hear a lot is “you’re a woman you belong in the kitchen.” This project has made me realize that even though America is diverse, we are the least bit accepting of difference. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, maybe. I would argue that CGS is a pretty accepting lot. Not perfect, but we seem to represent a pretty diverse group. And McMahon in general seems really diverse, in a pretty cool way. Would you count us in on the "lack of acceptance" card?

    ReplyDelete