Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Chocolate Connection


            It’s an addiction really. The emotions you feel as you bite into chocolate; whether it’s a cookie, truffle, piece of cake, ice cream, anything. As it slowly melts in your mouth filling every taste bud with joy, your mind starts flooding with past experiences and connections with this decadent dessert. A kind of chocolaty feminine connection that leads back to the beginning of this family. I’ve only heard stories of the soothing affect it has had on my elders, but I have experienced it first hand with the ones closest to me.
            The subtle crack of the chocolate as it drops onto my tongue causes memories of my mother to fill my mind. From when I was young and would share chocolate cookies and treats with her. Questioning her about the world, “Why is chocolate brown? Who’s George Bush? But I thought George Washington is our president? Do you think horses like chocolate?” as I lick off the chocolate smeared all over my fingers. Mom with her motherly patience would answer each and every one of those questions until I passed out from a sugar high. Others are from more recent times when we go out for chocolate croissants and coffee as I confide in her. The soothing words of my mother combined with the sweetness of the croissant make for a relaxing morning that calms my nerves.
            As the chocolate softens in my mouth memories of my grandmother flood into my mind. Tea time with my Googoo. My favorite blanket spread out on the floor, on top sits my tiny tea set; the teapot and cups filled with milk and the little plates filled with Oreos along with my grandmother’s fancy chocolates. In most of my happy memories like this one, I can feel the warm sensation of the sun on my face. I once again bombarded this time my grandmother with questions. She giggled at my curiosity and answered them too as her crystal blue eyes stared into mine. Memories from when I was older surprise me as well. The most common one is walking into my grandparent’s apartment and being welcomed with the smell of fresh baked brownies, her specialty. We sit together over a plate of brownies and have girl talk that includes the fascinating stories of my relatives that I never had the chance to meet. Not a worry in the world.
            Us Ekstrom women, though many of us have never met, bond through this dessert. The memories that consume us as we consume the chocolate fill our brains to capacity. Causing all the worries to fade away. This is the way I get to bond with one of my great, great, grandmothers who was one of the first of very few women to attend college once it was allowed for their gender. How else could she have inspired me to become the strong feminist I am today? Oh yes, the strange female connection my family shares through chocolate. They all speak to me through a dessert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment